Monday, August 31, 2009

Cumulus Inc

45 Flinders La
Melbourne 3000 VIC
Phone: (03) 9650 1445
Website: www.cumulusinc.com.au

I had actually planned to come to Cumulus Inc a week ago, but instead my friends decided that they wanted to have some Vietnamese rolls from Collingwood instead. Although Cumulus has been around for a while now, I had never gone... even with my friend Tofu constantly raving about it!



My friends and I got there around 12:20pm in attempt to beat the business crowd. Every time I walk past Cumulus at night it's always packed, so I don't know if I would even bother trying to get a seat for dinner. (Yes, I am that impatient) And either way, if I'm not wrong, the menu is the same for both lunch and dinner.

For those who don't know, there is a no booking policy at Cumulus. So if you want a seat, get there earlier!
(According to their website however, they do however take reservations of 8 to 12 guests.) The dishes are tapas style too, so you order a few and share between you and your friends.

Trumer Pils on tap 300ml $7.50

XS is a new comer to our weekly lunch gatherings, and he has a thing for trying out different beers no matter where we go. This was definitely one of the better beers he's tried so far. The texture is quite smooth and goes down easily.
Complementary bread & butter
The waiters will gladly offer you more bread once you've finished the first batch.
Scallop wrapped in speck, caper & raisin vinaigrette $5 each

Grilled quail (half) in vine leaf, pistachio & labne $7 each

Kitchen charcuterie selection $23

Baked gnocchi, Jerusalem artichokes, taleggio & truffle $17
Hands down the best dish at Cumulus Inc. I never knew I liked Jerusalem artichokes so much until now. Luckily we ordered 2 of these. I wouldn't mind coming here JUST for this dish. The gnocchi had the right fluffy consistency, the artichokes were crisp on the outside and soft inside but not mushy, the taleggio and truffle perfectly permeated through the whole dish. Absolutely divine.
Choucroute garni - cabbage braised with salt pork belly, smoked Lyonniase sausage & roast pork strap $23
Instead of pork belly, I believe we had pork shoulder instead. The sausages and braised cabbage were really good. I'm starting to believe that crackling just isn't my thing? (at least not the western version)
Spiced cauliflower with goats curd $14
I don't know what spiced cauliflower is supposed to look or taste like. But is it supposed to look and taste like burnt?
Rockdale 240 day grain fed scotch fillet, glazer shallots, nettle & horseradish $38
New potatoes, confit garlic & lemon $9
Perfectly roasted potatoes.

Definitely worth trying out this place. The venue has quite a sleek touch to it, however at the same time you're able to let loose and relax while enjoying the great food that Josh Murphy and his team are cooking up for you.

P.S. If you do go, order the Baked Gnocchi!


Pricing: Overall it came up to $35 per person and we were very satisfied with the meal.

Overall Score - Fine Dining: 16/20

  • Food: 8/10
  • Service: 4/5
  • Venue: 4/5
Just a comment about the service, one thing that really astounded me was that every time I went to take a sip of water from my glass, it was full again. I don't know about you, but for waiters to constantly top up your water and do it without you noticing most of the time is just amazing. Just one of those little things which makes for better service.
Other Useful Information
Opening Hours
  • Monday to Friday: 7am - 11pm
  • Saturday: 8am - 11pm

No comments:

Post a Comment